The proposed Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan for Northeast Wisconsin is envisioned to maintain and improve the momentum of bicycle and pedestrian planning that has occurred at all levels of government over many years.
The project will give a regional perspective of walking and bicycling opportunities along with their associated facilities within Brown, Door, Kewaunee, Florence, Manitowoc, Marinette, Oconto, and Sheboygan counties. The project planning period will include:
- Inventory of existing facilities;
- Identify physical and other impediments to walking and biking in the region;
- Develop strategies to increase the use of walking and bicycling modes as transportation options in the 8 northeast Wisconsin counties.
The Importance of Planning for Bicycle and Pedestrian Initiatives:
- Increases ability for some businesses to attract and retain employees due to the presence of alternative transportation modes
- Creates jobs through design and construction projects related to pedestrains and cyclists
- Stimulates growth in active transportation related businesses (e.g. bike shops, outdoor recreation shops, bike and walking tour companies)
- Increases out-of-state visitors who participate in walking or bicycle tourism to invest in northeast Wisconsin
- Socioeconomic benefits include cost savings to both the individuals and the public, increased efficiency of land use, and increased livability
- Improves the health of the environment and population
Click here to participate in the Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Survey to help this project!